Los Angeles Sex Crimes Lawyer
Sex offenses under California penal law can range from minor misdemeanors to heinous and violent of acts. Even a low-level offense has far-reaching consequences. Mandatory registration as a sex offender opens up your history for public scrutiny by everyone from potential employers to prospective landlords to neighbors. It is crucial that you seek a quality Los Angeles sex crimes lawyer who will explore all available options for your defense.
Saffari Law Group serves defendants across the state of California. Call today at (310) 341-7970 or reach out here online to set up a free consultation with our Los Angeles sex crimes attorney.
Allegations Our Los Angeles Sex Crimes Attorney Defends
The types of allegations and charges filed for sex offenses include the following:
- Annoying or Molesting a Child Under 18 - Even when the alleged sexual contact is minimal, child annoyance carries significant legal implications. Prosecution is possible if a minor has been molested or otherwise made uncomfortable due to an alleged sexual interest in minors by an adult.
- Child Pornography - Due to the criminal nature of child pornography, offenders are often held accountable for both its possession and distribution. The materials considered as part of this crime can vary greatly but typically involve any images or videos that depict sexual acts with minors under 18 years old.
- Lewd Acts With a Minor - California prosecutors take lewd acts with a minor very seriously. This offense is prosecuted when the accused allegedly touches a minor for sexual gratification or has the minor do so to themselves.
- Failing to Register as a Sex Offender - Annual registration as a sex offender is mandatory for individuals convicted of certain offenses. Offenders must provide their address, place of employment, and other relevant information within five business days of either their birthday or a change in residence. Failing to register as a sex offender can be charged as a felony.
- Forcible Sexual Penetration - Forcible sexual penetration is a far-reaching category of sex crime. It could involve penetration with an object, finger or penile; as well as oral copulation or sexual force upon victims aged 10 years old and younger. There are multiple other similar offenses that overlap within this scope regardless of if the victim is adult or minor in age. This crime can also involve deceit—for example, pretending to be someone’s spouse or partner and sliding into bed while they are asleep and taking the above actions.
- Indecent Exposure - Indecent exposure can appear to be a relatively harmless offense, but the reality is that it can have serious and long-lasting consequences , including sex registration. If the purported victim was a minor or if you already possess convictions for similar offenses, there is the possibility penalties for conviction may be enhanced. This act involves an intentional display of genitalia in public spaces with no legitimate purpose. Repercussions can range from misdemeanor charges to more severe penalties beyond criminal proceedings such as social stigma and lifelong commitments like mandatory registration.
- Lewd Conduct - Lewd conduct encompasses a wide range of allegations, that can include misdemeanor offenses like indecent exposure to felony charges for sexual battery. These are acts that would be deemed offensive by the general public and typically committed for sexual pleasure or gratification. These charges are considered “Wobblers” in California law, meaning a District Attorney has the right to try them as either a misdemeanor of felony.
- Oral Copulation by Force or Fear - Oral Copulation by Force, Fear, or Threats is always prosecuted as a felony, but it may also be charged as a “strike” under California’s Three Strikes laws. This means a minimum sentence of 25 years in prison in the event of conviction. Violent, non-consensual contact between the accused and a victim's sexual orifices is what defines this offense. It can involve force on behalf of the perpetrator, an unconscious state from victims due to drugs/alcohol, disability status or any other factor which makes them legally unable to consent.
- Prostitution and Solicitation - Prostitution and Solicitation crimes can be misdemeanors or felonies depending on the specific nature of the crime committed. Charges can be anything from engaging in prostitution, to seeking out a prostitute, to supervising prostitution, to being a part of human trafficking. When facing these charges, turn to our Los Angeles sex crimes attorney for help by calling (310) 341-7970 or through filling out our online contact form.
- Rape - Regardless of whether the victim is an adult or a minor, there is no more egregious sex crime than rape. A District Attorney will virtually always classify this as a strike offense, the third of which means 25 years to life behind bars under mandatory sentencing guidelines.
- Sex Trafficking and Human Trafficking - These allegations involve the exploitation and abuse of individuals for labor or sexual acts through violence, coercion, threats of imminent harm or future retribution. Moreover, financial gain need not always serve as an incentive; even in cases where no money exchanges hands--such as when undocumented immigrants are forced to do paid work without compensation. Supplying victims with another individual's gratification also constitutes trafficking – regardless if remuneration was received or not.
- Sex and human trafficking will be charged as a felony and will likely draw a high degree of attention in the D.A.’s office. Defendants need to know that a reliable Los Angeles sex crimes lawyer will be ready to mount a vigorous defense.
- Sexual Battery - Sexual Battery is a serious criminal charge frequently prosecuted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. The offense entails touching another person in an intimate area such as buttocks or genitals without their legitimate consent and with sexual desire, arousal, gratification or pleasure behind it.
- Sodomy - Sodomy charges involve forced or consensual contact between the victim and perpetrator's genitals. Without any aggravating factors present, penalties for this crime can range from probation to four years in prison.
- Statutory Rape - An unmarried minor in California cannot legally consent to sex. If the two people involved are within three years of age of one another, statutory rape is a misdemeanor in California. With more than a three-year age difference, the adult perpetrator in California can be charged with a felony and may receive a prison sentence of up to four years.
Contact Our Los Angeles Sex Crimes Attorney
If you've been accused of a sex crime in Los Angeles, it can be an incredibly emotional and distressing experience. However, with legal representation from Saffari Law Group, you can protect your rights, defend yourself against these allegations, and fight for your freedom. Our knowledgeable and experienced Los Angeles sex crimes attorney can help you navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system, provide sound legal advice, and vigorously defend you against these charges. Whether you are facing false allegations or are grappling with a complex legal situation, a skilled sex crime lawyer can help guide you through the process and achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Fighting a sex crime allegation? Contact our Los Angeles sex crime attorney today at (310) 341-7970 to schedule your free initial consultation!
The Legal Fighter You Need in Your Corner
Sex crimes are rightly reviled by society. What’s not right is the notion that every accused person is guilty of those crimes. Yet, too often, defendants find themselves prejudged by their community, their neighbors, and sometimes even their own family. At Saffari Law Group, our defendants know they can rely on their lawyer. We know the system makes mistakes and we’ll never back down from fighting for the constitutional rights of our clients, all the way to trial.
Call our office at (310) 341-7970 or contact us online. We serve people throughout the state of California.
“Ninaz is highly professional, organized, and talented.” - Robert
“I was referred to Attorney Saffari as a fighter in the courtroom. I walked out of court a free man due to this attorney's hard work and know-how.” - Kevin F.
“She not only makes you feel comfortable but she is very competent and experienced in pretty much any kind of situation/scenario. I feel very lucky to know her.” - Addy